What Happens On The Day - FAQ's
o What should I do before leaving home?
o Admin Tent
o Event Briefing
o Event Schedule
o Prize giving
· Lost Kids
· Course Questions
o The Swim
o The Bike
o The Run
· Event Rules
What should I do before leaving home?
Please take a look at our Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon pre-event checklist for individuals or for teams to ensure you are well-prepared for the day and have packed all the items needed for a safe and fun day.
The following items are compulsory:
· Closed in shoes for the cycle and run legs (Asics Shoe Guide).
· A well fitting helmet for the cycle leg (Bike Barn Cycle Check).
· Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon t-shirt with bib number attached.
If you have received your event kit make sure that you have your child’s event number sticker and that it is stuck to:
· The front of their event t shirt. (it is best to do this with the t shirt lying on flat surface)
· The front of their helmet
· The handle bars of their bike
Make sure you allow plenty of time to get to the event and to find a car park. Please leave enough time to get through the numbering, check in and transition process before transition closes. The more time you allow, the easier it will be. There will be lots of people and it will be very, very busy, so please be patient and listen to all instructions, which will come from our officials, volunteers and the event commentator. To view the schedule for your event, visit the My Location page.
And remember, drink plenty of water before and during the event and always warm up and stretch before the TRYathlon!
Kids: Thanks to Sanitarium and our breakfast partners, Anchor, Heinz Watties & Just Juice Splash, breakfast for all participants is FREE. Just make sure you present your “FREE Just Juice Splash” voucher which was in your event kit. Fuel up for your TRYathlon with Weet-Bix Bites in a variety of flavours, Anchor milk and Just Juice. Gluten free Weet-Bix and soy milk are also available on request.
Adults: Join us at the Breakfast for Grown Ups tent at selected TRYathlon events for a complimentary Weet-Bix breakfast. Kick start your day with a delicious Weet-Bix Multi-Grain, Oat Bran or Hi-Bran breakfast, with a variety of tasty toppings available. Note that the Adults Breakfast Tent will not be at all TRYathlon locations. If you are at an event where there is no Adults Breakfast Tent, you are welcome to enjoy breakfast from the Kids Breakfast Tent.
If you have not received your event kit or require assistance on event day, make your way to the Admin Tent with your registration ID number.
Participants registered after the courier cut-off date will need to collect their event kit from the Admin Tent on the morning of the event. Please bring your confirmation email with you to collect your kit.
If you are registering on the day, you can also do this at the Admin Tent.
Swim caps are no longer distributed from the Admin Tent. You can collect your swim cap from Transition when you check in.
Transition is the big fenced off holding pen for participants’ bikes and it is the change-over point between legs of the race. The Transition area is organised according to swim cap colour. Bikes will need to be lined up with the flag matching your child’s swim cap colour and any additional equipment kept to the side of the bike.
All bikes and equipment need to be in Transition before the event briefing. To view the schedule for your event, visit the My Location page.
When a participant comes from the swim, they will transition to the bike ride. When they finish the bike ride, they will come back to transition to leave their bike and begin the run.
Once your child has checked in and positioned their bike in the Transition area, you will not be permitted to enter Transition to add or retrieve equipment until after the conclusion of prize giving. Please ensure that you have everything you need for the day with you when you leave Transition before the event briefing.
You will need to leave the following items in Transition:
· Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon t-shirt with Bib Number attached to the front.
· Bike with your event number sticker attached to the handle bars.
· Helmet with your event number sticker attached to the front.
· Running shoes and socks.
· Drink bottle.
· Any medication you may need use of during the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon (eg. asthma inhaler)
· A box or something similar to put all your things in next to your bike.
Take the following items with you when you leave Transition:
· Swimming togs.
· Arena Swim Cap.
· Swimming goggles. (optional)
· Something warm to wear until you begin your race (Please note, this cannot be your Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon t-shirt as you are required to wear this for the cycle and run leg so it needs to be left with your bike).
· Check that you have your event bib number written clearly on your arm and leg.
It's a good idea to have a small plastic box so that all your items are kept together and also to make your bike stand out somehow so it will be easier for you to find during the event. For example, you could use a brightly-coloured towel on your seat or handlebars.
Collecting your gear from Transition
· After the final participant has completed the course, controlled access for those wanting to remove bikes from transition will be permitted from a single designated entry point under the guidance of Transition HELP TEAM Marshals until Prize-giving has been completed.
· After the prize-giving has been completed, general access to bikes in the Transition Area will be permitted. Several entries to transition will be created and security spot checks will be carried out by Transition HELP TEAM Marshals.
. The Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon organisers take no responsibility for any bikes or items left in transition after the event.
If your school has registered a school group at your event, they set up a small marquee as a meeting point for the school group. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions regarding erection of school marquees.
Event Briefing will take place on the Weet-Bix stage container. All the information you and your child will need for the TRYathlon, such as start times, swim order and locations, changes to format of event due to weather etc will be covered in this briefing.
Access to Transition will close 15 minutes prior to these briefings.
Times are as follows;
TRYathlon Briefing (in front of Weet-Bix stage container)
Sunday events 8.30am
Mt Maunganui 8.30am
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday events 9.30am
Northland event 9.30am
To view the schedule for your event, visit the My Location page.
Thanks to our sponsors, the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon have some great prizes to give away!
Having your bib’s barcode scanned at check in puts you in the draw to win one of these great prizes.
You must be present at prize giving with your event number to claim any prizes won. Only Bike Barn bikes and the ASB Tablet will be redrawn.
No prizes are able to be claimed at any later stage and no prizes are able to be claimed by persons other than the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon participant named as the winner. Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon takes no responsibility for lost or unclaimed prizes.
If your child’s school has registered as a group at your event, you can receive a school group discount for your registration fee and help your school to win great prizes!
In order for your school to qualify for prizes, the school group will need to have a minimum number of participants entered:
Number of Participants Required
50 or less
Prizes are non-negotiable, non-transferrable, non-refundable and unable to be exchanged for cash.
· School roll numbers will be taken from the Ministry of Education Directory of Schools - as at School Group Registration Cut Off Date.
The first thing you should do when you arrive at the event venue is set up a meeting point. There will be lots of people there on the day and it will make it easier if you decide on a meeting place in advance that the whole family can go to if you do get separated and for when you finish the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon. There will be a Lost Kids tent positioned next to the Admin Tent where our Help Team will care for any lost children – this is the best spot to find lost parents too!
We strongly recommend that you write your child's event number on their right forearm and left shin. This is important as in the event of an accident it means we are able to identify your child and contact you via the mobile number you supply during the registration process. If you have other children with you on the day who are not participating, we recommend that you write your mobile number on their arm if they do not know it.
If you have lost an item of property, we recommend that you check in at the Lost Kids Tent during the event and if it has not been handed in that you log the details of the item with one of the Help Team.
Post event, please contact our Registration & Call Centre team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0800 WEET BIX (0800 9338 249) as soon as possible with a description of the item.
At the conclusion of each Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon, all lost property is given to the local coordinator who will hold items for three months for collection. After this date any items that have not been collected will be donated to a local charity. The exception to this is any items that a child could use at the TRYathlon eg helmets, shoes, bikes which will be donated to the Weet-Bix TRYathlon Foundation.
The Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon organisers take no responsibility for any property lost at the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon events.
The swim leg will take place in either in the oceans or a public pool. Each venue is a little bit different so we recommend you check the My Location page to check the depth of the swim at your child’s event and to download a swim map. Be assured that for all events the swim will take place in water that is no more than 2 meters deep and, in most cases, is much shallower than this. There are always lots of lifeguards on hand to help if your children are struggling.
For pool swims, some of the lifeguards will be based in the pool for the entire event. Others will be located around the edge of the pool to assist with entering and exiting the water. Flutter boards are also available if required.
Ocean swims are conducted parallel to the beach, so your child will never be far from land. Some of these lifeguards will stand on the shore and some of these lifeguards will be based in the water for the entire event.
We will always have a lifeguard on hand for our TRYathletes should they require assistance.
On the morning of the event, you will need to head to the blue CHECK IN tents at Transition to be scanned in. Once you are scanned in, you will be given your Arena Swim Cap.
You will need to have your Weet-Bix TRYathlon t-shirt (with bib number attached), shorts, closed in shoes, towel and drink bottle in your red Weet-Bix TRY drawstring bag (with your bib number written on it). This bag will be left with your team cyclist for them to give to you when you TAG them after the swim leg. Once you have TAGGED your team cyclist, you will have time to get dry and changed while your team mate is out on the cycle leg. Once ready in your run gear, you will wait in the transition tent for your cyclist to come and TAG you and then you will complete the run together.
The cycle leg will take place in parks, on footpaths and roads closed to traffic. We recommend you check the My Location page to download a copy of the cycle map for event.
Each participant, including kids from the same family, will need to have their own bike and helmet to complete the TRYathlon. Sharing bikes can compromise safety and security.
If you require assistance with equipment, you can apply for support from the Weet-Bix Foundation here.
For health and safety reasons, closed in shoes must be worn during the cycle and run legs of the TRYathlon. Helmets are also compulsory for the bike leg of the TRYathlon.
On the morning of the event, you will need to head to the blue CHECK IN tents at transition to be scanned in and then leave your bike and helmet in transition. When you are ready to leave transition, you should be wearing your Weet-Bix TRYathlon t-shirt (with bib number attached) and your closed in shoes - that way you are all ready to go and just need to put your helmet on before you start cycling. Your team swimmer will give you their drawstring bag to hold on to while they are swimming. When they TAG you after their swim, you will need to give them their red drawstring bag so that they can get changed while you are out cycling.
The run leg will take place in parks, on footpaths and roads closed to traffic. We recommend you check the My Location page to download a copy of the run map for event.
Both team members will complete the run together.
For health and safety reasons, closed in shoes must be worn during the cycle and run legs of the TRYathlon.
If your child needs assistance during any leg of the course, please contact our Registration & Call Centre at least two days before the event and we will discuss options with you. Our Registration & Call Centre team can arrange for a parent or guardian to have access to all areas of the course to provide assistance. You can contact us on 0800 WEET BIX (0800 9338 249) or at email@example.com.
Safety is the top priority for each and every Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon event and for this reason, the following event rules must be adhered to:
· The Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon is about participation and Fair Play. By entering the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon event, you agree to abide by the principles of Fair Play; respect for the rules, courtesy, just and equitable treatment for all participants, spectators and event volunteers alike.
· We also encourage all spectators, present on the day, to encourage and cheer for all participants present, and to equally abide by the principals of Fair Play. Thank you for your support.
· Participants and spectators must follow race Marshals' instructions. They will be the ones in the HELP TEAM shirts encouraging you and directing you around the course.
· Spectators must keep clear of all parts of the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon course. This includes the Transition Area, which, once the race starts, will not be open again until after prize giving has concluded.
· Your helmet must be on correctly, and done up securely before you leave Transition.
· Closed in shoes must be worn for the bike and run legs of the event. You must ensure that your shoelaces are done up before you leave Transition.
· Take care on corners and slopes particularly if conditions are wet.
· Road closures are in place, keep left if not overtaking - remember that your bike course is like a normal road, and normal road rules apply.
· Your Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon T-shirt must be worn during the ride and run.
· Familiarise yourself with the course – and view the maps on Information boards located in the event arena.
· Do NOT move other participant’s bikes or gear in the transition area at any time.
To view our full Terms and Conditions, click here.